Re: a union is always a join!

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:47:37 -0500

"paul c" <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> wrote in message news:beZsl.15959$Db2.2243_at_edtnps83...
> Walter Mitty wrote:
>
>> ... I'm also going to suggest that what
>> Brain S. calls "oversimplification" is almost exactly what others call
>> "abstraction". I'm also going to suggest that without abstraction you
>> don't
>> get any independence, and without independence, you don't get much of any
>> bang for the buck. That may be of zero theoretical importance, but it's
>> of
>> interest to me.
>
> Walter, I'm with the many people who think phyaical and logical
> independence are of high importance, both theoretically and practically.
> But I'd say many of the nuances and implications of those haven't been
> explored much in print. Brain S as you call him regularly enters the
> realm of mysticism. I point this out not to correct him, but to warn
> newcomers here that he is not exactly swimming in the main stream of
> relational theory (to be fair, not many are, because the theory is often
> confused with past practice). I have a number of mystic acquaintances and
> I like them all, partly because they don't involve themselves in db theory
> and there is much in life for which mysticism offers the only comfortable
> clues.

Mysticism. If accepting that the universe of discourse contains things and that at different times a thing can differ in appearance yet still be the same thing means that I'm a mystic, then I'm guilty as charged. If acknowledging that under an interpretation values are mappings from language terms such as constant symbols to things in the universe of discourse means that I'm a mystic, then I'm guilty as charged. If recognizing that there is equivalence between a tuple in a relation and an atomic formula in a first order language means that I'm a mystic, then I'm guilty as charged. If allowing that there is an equivalence between a key value in a tuple and a term in a first order language means that I'm a mystic, then I'm guilty as charged.

> But here we must remember one of Codd's first precepts - all meaning in an
> rdb is expressed through the values of attributes of relations. With care
> in their expression, some constraints can stand in effect (eg. intensions)
> for such relations, but many programmers who come to this field are
> incapable of removing their past experience from the topic, which is one
> of the reasons we see the word 'interpretation' mentioned so often here
> (basically what Edward de Bono called a porridge word). It seems that
> Brian S doesn't want to use attributes to express time values or state
> successions. I doubt if Codd would have gone along with that (but being
> smarter than I he wouldn't have bothered arguing about it either).

You should have gone into politics, given how adroitly you twist what people say to suit your own ends.