Re: Guessing?

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:46:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 11:10 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2:41 pm, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 14, 9:42 pm, Marshall <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The logic here seems totally awry to me (Who are you and what have you
> > done with Marshall!). Consider:
>
> Marshall is tremendously grumpy lately due to a variety of
> real-world considerations. During his absence I have taken
> the liberty of replacing him with a Turing-complete grump
> autoposter.
>
> > > Then we're done.
>
> > We were done in the post when you conceded you made a mistake and that
> > noone was denying AI wasn't possible. Since then I assumed we were
> > just exploring the ideas about the best ways of getting there.
>
> The grump autoposter wants to argue more, but I'm shutting
> it down to shift power to the air conditioning.
>
> For further reading:
>
> http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm

Aw man. We haven't even got outta chess and into "non-well defined" problems yet. I tell you what - let's agree to disagree for now and refer to a line in the sci-fi piece that you've linked to (sorry, couldn't resist):

"At the present rate, computers suitable for human-like robots will appear in the 2020s."

Well there we go - we can settle it by meeting back here in 2025. If you bring a "human-like" robot you win!

All best, J ;)