Re: Guessing?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:27:36 -0400

"paul c" <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah> wrote in message news:qXSck.59540$kx.32045_at_pd7urf3no...

> Brian Selzer wrote:
>> "paul c" <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah> wrote in message

>>> Okay, now stop right there.  (It is the case you originally gave, ie.,
>>> statements 1 and 2 are both true.)  What is the extension of 'statement'
>>> 3?
>>
>> You've lost me.  When did I say that statements 1 and 2 are both true?
>> IIRC, I wrote, "consider the following statements:"
>>

> I see this snippet from June 22:
>
> "It is only the fact that the value that maps to Susan appears also in
> both of the base relations that tells us that in fact Susan is both an
> electrical engineer and a mechanical engineer."

The Susan I have in mind happens to be both an electrical and a mechanical engineer. But statement 3 would still be the case if she were either an electrical or a mechanical engineer but not both. If she were only an electrical engineer, then the extension of a relation representing statement 3 would still consist of that same tuple, {{Person:Susan}}. If she were only a mechanical engineer then the extension would still consist of that same tuple. In order be able to differentiate between the properties of being an electrical engineer and being a mechanical engineer you either need to add a flag attribute or use separate relations. Received on Wed Jul 09 2008 - 17:27:36 CEST

Original text of this message