Re: Database model question

From: jefftyzzer <jefftyzzer_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 25, 8:14 am, dingch..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone;
>
> I want to write a report about database model, and i
> plan to write 3 models which are Network Model,Hierarchical Model, and
> relational model.
>
> Since I only used relational database be4 which are
> mysql and MS access. I am not quite familar wi the other 2. Can
> anybody
> give me a suggestion about what areas I can write for those two,
> something like mapping,application, structure..........something like
> that.and anything that I can compare..?
>
> really appreciate!!!! and any reference and
> recourse i can use,plz give me a hand.~~~

I would start with this paper:

http://tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/VeritableBucketOfFactsSIGMOD.pdf

The canonical hierarchical data management system is IBMs IMS, while IDMS is the one most associated with the network model. Along with the reference above, I'd also check out Chapter 6 of _From Airline Reservations to Sonic the Hedgehog: A History of the Software Industry_ (http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp? ttype=2&tid=9539)

Finally, and perhaps most importantly (as far as this group is concerned ;-), check out Codd's original papers (references 32 and 33 of the "Veritable Bucket" paper) for the impetus behind the relational model, i.e., what were the weaknesses in the existing approaches that Codd was seeking to remedy?

Good luck,

--Jeff Received on Wed Jun 25 2008 - 23:48:11 CEST

Original text of this message