Re: Multiple tables refer to one -To use foreign keys or not?

From: Adriano Varoli Piazza <moranar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 03:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

On 29 mayo, 22:11, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> > Adriano Varoli Piazza <mora..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >>Readinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-Attribute-Value_model,
> >>but this doesn't look like the same problem at first glance. I'll try
> >>to wrap my head around the concept.
> >>Though it does seem to be an awful lot of work for this particular
> >>task.
>
> >>Thanks for the readup anyway, if it's the right solution, good, and if
> >>it's not, I'll avoid reinventing stuff in the future.
>
> >      It is not the right solution.  It is a hideous way to do it.
>
> And I want to make clear I wasn't accusing the OP of anything hideous. I
> could not make enough sense of his post to tell what he was doing, and
> some of it seemed suggestive of yet another reinvention of EAV. Not
> enough to say for sure, though.

A simple "Your post is very confusing, please clarify X, Y and Z" would have been better.
Still, I'm not offended by people telling me I'm doing things the worst way, or telling me what I wrote is confusing. I half suspect it anyway. This is very new to me.

As I said, EAV is an interesting concept, and one I'd rather know, so thanks for pointing it out, even if it's not related to this.

Saludos
Adriano Received on Fri May 30 2008 - 12:33:33 CEST

Original text of this message