Re: Guessing?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:38:12 -0400

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:483ac46d$0$4069$9a566e8b_at_news.aliant.net...
> paul c wrote:
>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>
>>> ... (Not that I like anthropomorphizing dbmses.)
>>
>> Right, saying the dbms 'knows' something invites talk of it being able to
>> 'guess' and other mysticisms. For want of a better word, for now I'll
>> try to remember to quote it.
>
> With POOD, any tuple satisfies the predicate of at most one relation in
> the dbms. Thus, with POOD, the dbms can calculate a unique relation to
> which to apply any insert, update or delete with the goal of avoiding
> anomalous behaviour.

This just does not make sense. Suppose that a Vendor can also be a Customer since they're both Companies, and suppose that Company 'Philco' usually supplies 'RG6 connectors,' but occasionally buys them. So then if you have two relations,

VendorParts {Company, Part},

CustomerParts {Company, Part},

that enumerate the parts that a company supplies and the parts that a company buys respectively,

the tuple, {Company:'Philco', Part:'RG6 connector'}, can obviously appear in both relations, so I don't buy the notion 'any tuple satisfies the predicate of at most one relation.'

In TTM, Darwin raises objections to such a strict form of orthogonality, and I agree: it's a problem to disallow more than one relationship between things, and in the case of unary relations, it's a problem to disallow something from having more than one property. (Page 436 if you're interested.)