Re: pro- foreign key propaganda?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 22:58:17 -0400

"paul c" <toledobysea_at_ac.ooyah> wrote in message news:xzhZj.286510$pM4.214920_at_pd7urf1no...
> Bob Badour wrote:
>> bullshit." ? I am not entirely sure I understand what you mean when you
>> use the word mysticism.
>
> The mystics here are the people who confuse a system with the reality that
> the system only mimics imperfectly, the system being at most a mere
> metaphor, for example pretending that an algebraic structure somehow
> embodies actual 'entities' or thinking that there is actually a relational
> operator called 'update', when Codd was obviously using the word 'update'
> only as a way to sound familiar to his audience.

Who here pretends that an algebraic structure embodies actual 'entities?' Can you cite examples? And by the way, I suggest you read Codd's book. Pages 89-90 describe the Update operator and the justification for it. Also, you might want to look at the article "Extending the Database Relational Model to Capture More Meaning" in TODS 4-4. On page 400, where he is describing the original Relational Model, he writes,

    All insertions into, updates of, and deletions from base relations are constrained

    by the following two rules....

I could cite other instances, but I think these sufficiently show that you're interpretation of Codd's use of the word 'update' is faulty.

> They are a subset of the masses who cannot make change without a computer.
> I remember when slide-rules were not allowed at some exams, today I meet
> people in the mechanical field who cannot even operate a calculator!
> That's part of the new reality in the modern semi-literate western
> societies, not to mention those who confuse oligarchy for democracy!

Didn't you know that keeping the unwashed masses ignorant is one of the primary objectives of liberal elitists? Why then are you lamenting the fact that the campaign is succeeding? Received on Fri May 23 2008 - 04:58:17 CEST

Original text of this message