Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:16:30 -0800

Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 6, 12:06 am, Robert Martin <uncle..._at_objectmentor.com> wrote:
>> On 2008-03-05 08:33:36 -0600, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> said:
>>
>> > All this leads me to claim that data is more fundamental than behavior. Not
>> > more valid. Just more fundamental. You can have systems that have data but
>> > no behavior.
>>
>> If they have no behavior how can they be systems?
>
>If your car has no microwave how can it be a vehicle?
>
>A bunch of 3x5 cards in little drawers at the library is both a system
>and a database.

     No, it is not a system. The bunch of 3x5 cards with a person using them is. In this case, the user encapsulates the behaviour. The behaviour is important. The cards by themselves are useless as you would find out very fast if you handed them to a typical 2-year-old to extract data from. (chew, chew, rip, rip, scribble on).

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.