Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:01:13 -0600

On 2008-02-09 09:35:52 -0600, Patrick May <pjm_at_spe.com> said:

> I prefer to work with people who understand procedural,
> relational, OO, and functional programming. The boundaries between
> these paradigms are not sharp -- useful techniques span paradigms.
> Ultimately I'm looking for a gestalt development environment that
> leverages the benefits of the superset of these techniques to deliver
> high quality software. That's the real goal, after all.

Well said.

It is true that the boundaries can be indistinct; but this happens because it is *possible* to specify data within objects; and it is *possible* to specify behavior within SQL.

I have consulted for shops in which the DBAs took total control over the business rules, reducing the programmers to little more than GUI form jockeys. I have also consulted for shops in which the programmers took total control over all the data access, reducing the DBAs to little more than DDL clerks. Neither extreme is appropriate.

There is a place for stored procedures, just as there is a place for serialized objects in flat files.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com