Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:55:52 -0600

On 2008-02-09 09:32:13 -0600, "Daniel T." <daniel_t_at_earthlink.net> said:

> and cons of both theories, I can't say much because I only know one side
> of the argument.

The most amusing aspect of the "argument" to me is that the two "theories" do not compete. There's nothing to argue about. It's rather like arguing whether desert topings are better than floor waxes.

OO is a technique for organizing and decoupling source code modules. RDB is a technique for organizing and representing data.

So the argument goes:

"My way of organizing source code is better than your way of organizing data."

"No, you are naive, you don't understand subsets and algebraic formality."

"You are an idiot, it's about polymorphism and inheritance."

It seems to me that we'd all be a lot better off if we tried very hard not to get our peanut butter and chocolate mixed up. Each has it's place. Each has it's purpose. Each has it's benefits and costs. Neither can replace the other.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com