Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:39:48 -0800 (PST)

>> I would like to know what 'open code' provision ISBN allows for and how ISBN might avoid conflicts when part of an inventory isn't registered with ISBN, ie., how to prevent chaos when two inventories are merged. <<

No ISBN starts with '00', so you used them in the shop. It has been a few decades since I owned my bookstore, so I would imagine that people still do it that way. As I said, this is how retail has done it since UPC bar codes became popular. I think you are missing the point of open codes. In, say, the grocery store business, a store might have a deli, a bakery, etc. where they make and sell things only in the store. There is no "merging" of the open UPC codes -- these are strictly for internal use. Same thing with a rare book dealer, an art dealer, etc.

>> It seems that Amazon made a twist on this by making ISBN a subset of its own domain creation, which might be more practical (assuming Amazon can safely predict future ISBN extensions) and less idiotic than what I read your suggestion to be. <<

Not quite; the ISBN is now part of the EAN system for retail. In a few years, we will be using GTIN (Global Trade Identification Number). Amazon and every other retailer is benefiting from not having to invent their own system.. Received on Mon Feb 04 2008 - 17:39:48 CET

Original text of this message