Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 02:21:34 GMT

-CELKO- wrote:
> You assign a false ISBN for it, like the open codes in th UPC system.

I would like to know what 'open code' provision ISBN allows for and how ISBN might avoid conflicts when part of an inventory isn't registered with ISBN, ie., how to prevent chaos when two inventories are merged.

On the face of it, it would seem idiotic to embrace a code assignment authority that might handle only half of one's domain (unless ISBN has some mechanism for 'private labels').

It seems that Amazon made a twist on this by making ISBN a subset of its own domain creation, which might be more practical (assuming Amazon can safely predict future ISBN extensions) and less idiotic than what I read your suggestion to be. Received on Sat Feb 02 2008 - 03:21:34 CET

Original text of this message