Re: Principle of Orthogonal Design

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:45:41 -0800 (PST)

On 22 jan, 19:57, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> > mAsterdam wrote:
> >> ?

> >> inclusion dependency --> meaning overlap
>

> > Yes. An inclusions dependency implies meaning overlap.
> > It is a sufficient condition, but not a necessary one.
>

> >> ?
>

> The easiest case of meaning overlap, then, should be
> with the the most simple form of inclusion dependency:
> RI, the foreign key.
> How does the meaning overlap with simple RI?

Well, if you have R(a,b) and S(c,d) and a FK R[a,b] to S[c,d], then there is meaning overlap. The inclusion dependencies we are considering have to cover all the attributes of the involved relations.

> >> Slowly, please - where has the 'might' (from the redundancy in
> >> your other post) gone?

> > That applied to my improved version of EE's definition of meaning
> > overlap. Under the definition I'm using here this "might" has become a
> > "must".
>
> Another change of the definition of meaning overlap? To what?

Ok. For the time being I promise to stick to the following definition:

DEFINITION: Two relations R and S are said to have overlap in meaning if there is an inclusion dependency from all attributes of R to all attributes of S, or vice versa.

Once you are comfortable with this we can move on the the more subtle cases of meaning overlap. To be complete let met also fix the POOD rule for the moment:

DEFINITION: A schema is said to violate POOD if it contains two different relations R and S such that a component of a non-trivial join dependency of R overlaps in meaning with a component of a nontrivial  join dependency of S.

So far so good?

  • Jan Hidders