Re: Principle of Orthogonal Design

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:18:47 -0800 (PST)

On 22 jan, 10:46, mAsterdam <mAster..._at_vrijdag.org> wrote:
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> > JOG wrote:
> >> Absolutely not - worse in fact, because then it would be greased
> >> with buzzwords too ;) Years of working with the semantic web,
> >> ontologies, expert systems, etc have emphasised to me that
> >> "meaning" is only something that can be obtained via situated
> >> embodiement within the environment concerned, and that context is
> >> far too  complex a beast to be tamed by computerized encoding.
> >> As such I'd rather rules appealed to functional dependencies and
> >> logical consequents than to appeal to the slippery notion of
> >> "meaning".

> > Hear hear. But I think the part of POOD that actually does make sense
> > and really removes redundancy and update anomalies can be defined that
> > way. For example, if there is an inclusion dependency between a
> > relation R and S then it makes sense to say that there is overlap in
> > meaning.
>

> ?

> inclusion dependency --> meaning overlap

Yes. An inclusions dependency implies meaning overlap. It is a sufficient condition, but not a necessary one.

> ?

> Slowly, please - where has the 'might' (from the redundancy in
> your other post) gone?

That applied to my improved version of EE's definition of meaning overlap. Under the definition I'm using here this "might" has become a "must".

> And the 'qualified' in the inclusion dependency?

Saying that there is a qualified inclusion dependency between R and S is equivalent with saying that there is an inclusion dependency between (1) the result of a conjunctive query that selects tuples from R and (2) S, which I talked about in the subsequent generalization steps in the preceding posting. I though that a step by step introduction might make the concept and the reasoning behind it a bit easier to grasp.

Apologies if this is all a bit confusing, but I'm developing these ideas as I post, and I'm not sure yet what the best way is to explain them.

  • Jan Hidders