Re: Foreign keys

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:13:18 GMT

"Evan Keel" <evankeel_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:H3Ljj.33451$4V6.12405_at_newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...
> Not reading the whole thread (big mistake on my part), but how about the
> instance where a foreign key can be null?. No functional dependecy but
> legit.

The response to this is the same as what has been given dozens of times before.

Decompose the table into two tables, one of which only contains the PK and the FK under discussion. Now, when the FK would have received a null, omit the entire tuple (row),
since it conveys no information.

Nulls drop out of the discussion, and it proceeds as before. Received on Thu Jan 17 2008 - 22:13:18 CET

Original text of this message