Re: Function

From: Kira Yamato <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:14:45 -0500

On 2008-01-15 11:29:40 -0500, mAsterdam <> said:

> Kira Yamato schreef:
>> mAsterdam said:
>>> How about this:
>>> cdt glossary proposal:

>> This is not good enough.
> Could you provide a better text?

A domain is simply a set of values.

>> It is possible that a value exists in the domain Sn yet the relation
>> has no corresponding tuple which holds that value for An.
> Does the current text forbid that?

In your original definition, you require a tuple in R that holds that value in order for that value to be in Sn.

I'm saying that this requirement is not needed.

>> This seems right.  A domain is just a set of values.  In relational
>> algebra, this set is required to be non-empty since attributes are
>> non-null.
> It is worm season, it seems :-)

Yea. Some relational algebra textbooks make a big case of why attributes should not be null.

>> On the other hand, mathematics does not require a domain to be non-empty.

>> No, there is always just one meaning of function in database.
> Would s/meanings/uses/ take away your objection?
> If not, which one meaning?

Perhaps s/meanings/definition/ is better.

>> Essentially correct, although to be rigorous you need to define how
>> such binary relation can define the meaning of "associating each
>> element in D exactly one element in C."
>> Not all binary relation has this property.
> IMHO this goes way beyond the glossaries purpose.
> However, if you have a simple replacement that would cover this it
> would be welcome.

It is over the top for practical uses. I was just being pedantic. :)