Re: Something new for the New Year (2008).

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:54:26 -0800

Rob <rmpsfdbs_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>I don't know what you mean by "unworkable". Does that mean it is not
>well-formed, or just that you have a different model?

     Practically everyone would have a different model. Consider "family unit". Most would consider that it means something like household. You are using a different definition. That would cuase problems.

     Now, consider some sticky stuff.

     Three years from now, Bob has graduated from school and and is no longer living with his father. What family unit is he a member of then?

     A few years later, he marries Allison, and they have two children, Samantha and Michael. What family unit is Bob a member of then?

     A few years after that, he and Allison divorce, and Allison gets custody of Samantha, and Bob gets custody of Michael. What family unit is Bob a member of then? What family unit is Samantha a member of? What family unit is Michael a member of?

     A few years later, Bob marries Lynn and they have a son Derek. About the same time, Allison marries Charles and they have a daughter Karen.

     Question: Derek and Karen are not related biologically and have never lived together. They might never have met. Are they siblings? Are they members of the same family unit?

     Allison and Charles die in a road accident. Bob get custody of Samantha. Due to other concerns, he also gets custody of Karen. What is the family unit setup then?

     I have not even added examples about adoptees.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: