Re: schema help

From: Rob <>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:08:49 -0800 (PST)

> Thanks for the response Rob. I want to model change-over-time. Lets
> say after 30 days, (I should have 30 different usages but the same x
> file systems. There is the possibility to have more file systems, for
> example if  I want to add a share for e books on the 25th day, I will
> only have 5 usages).
> Any thoughts, on the schema, now?
I don't have that much experience incorporating time into data models. (Meta-models actually.)

My response was actually about the theoretical issue: Should the model represent a snapshot in time that periodically you save externally, or
should the model capture the time dimension? In the first case, you ask/answer your question from the saved data. In the second case, you ask/answer from the database. (The third possibility is a variant of the first: You periodically save snapshot data to a data warehouse and ask/answer from there.)

Maybe someone else can suggest a schema based on the sample data you provided.

Rob Received on Wed Dec 26 2007 - 17:08:49 CET

Original text of this message