Re: schema help

From: magawake <magawake_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:45:32 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 25, 5:40 pm, Rob <rmpsf..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 12:37 pm, magawake <magaw..._at_gmail.com> wrote:> Hello:
> > I am trying to learn SQL and RDBMS theories. To acheive this, I
> > decided to assign myself a project.
>
> > My project is basically, account for my NFS mounts, and keep track of
> > them. I want to see which filesystems are growing, and which
> > filesystems are staying the same. I will get an inventory daily. I
> > will grab the data and place it into a database, using PERL or AWK.
>
> [some illustrative data]
>

> > So my intentention is, to show do stats on these filesystems, and see
> > when it grows and when it stays the same. I will get these stats
> > daily, and hopefully in a month, I can see what is growing, shrinking,
> > and staying the same.
>
> > Any ideas on the schema? do I really need a RDBMS for this?
>
> > TIA
>
> A fascinating question I've long pondered. Since I am interested in
> the general question, I'll take the liberty to restate it, accurately
> I hope:
>
> Since a relational database represents the model state of a known
> universe, is it possible to ask/answer the question: How has the
> database changed over time?
>
> Snodgrass advocates adding begin/end time attributes, for the data
> entry window and the data validity window (with representations for
> minus- and plus infinity). But am I really modeling change-over-time
> or just adding timeframes to snapshots? (Like using a timed exposure
> to take a picture with a camera when there's too little light.)
>
> Would it not be better to utilize the OP's data capture approach by
> periodically evaluating a query, saving the query response externally
> and computing "deltas" between query responses (extensions) over
> time?? (This is fundamentally the data warehouse approach in which a
> relational database is used to capture periodic snapshots.)
>
> What do other people think about this? Is it better to implement a
> temporal database or to capture snapshots of a non-temporal database
> (externally or in a data warehouse) and compute the changes?
>
> Rob

Thanks for the response Rob. I want to model change-over-time. Lets say after 30 days, (I should have 30 different usages but the same x file systems. There is the possibility to have more file systems, for example if I want to add a share for e books on the 25th day, I will only have 5 usages).

Any thoughts, on the schema, now? Received on Wed Dec 26 2007 - 04:45:32 CET

Original text of this message