Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: rpost <rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:58:03 +0100

paul c wrote:

[...]

>> I know you weren't asking me, but my question about the
>> whole entities thing is, what do they buy me? ...
>
>They give one a conversational place-holder so that one can talk without
>knowing what one is talking about. That is very important to millions
>of people. It might not seem so cuckoo if entities were called
>place-holders instead.

There is a subtle difference. A "reference" (or "pointer") is something that refers; an entity, in the context of ER modelling (or "object", in the context that terms like "reference" and "pointer" are used), is something that can be referred to.

Other than that, I agree.

It doesn't answer the question, though: what does it buy them?

--
Reinier