Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 03:57:01 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> On Dec 1, 8:52 am, rp..._at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl (rpost) wrote:

>>> Entities are figments of our imaginations.
>> Heh. So are relations, attributes, values, and domains.
>> So are rectangles, straight lines, points, and angles.
>> So are "real" numbers, functions, and differential equations.
>> But they all work pretty well.
>
> Agreed.

Marshall, why are you agreeing with a false argument? If RM depended on rectangles, they'd be part of it, but it doesn't so they aren't (even though some imagine otherwise).

>> We're dealing with conceptual modelling here.
>> I prefer the term 'modelling constructs', if you don't mind.
>>
>> I agree with Chen (and e.g. OO design, which takes it to another extreme)
>> that a notion of entity is natural, unproblematic and well worth having.
>>
>> You apparently disagree. Make me understand why. Be specific.
>
> I know you weren't asking me, but my question about the
> whole entities thing is, what do they buy me? ...

They give one a conversational place-holder so that one can talk without knowing what one is talking about. That is very important to millions of people. It might not seem so cuckoo if entities were called place-holders instead. Received on Sun Dec 02 2007 - 04:57:01 CET

Original text of this message