Re: RM formalism supporting partial information

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 02:54:30 -0800 (PST)

On 17 nov, 04:35, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
> [...]
>

> > - We say that two relations R1 and R2 are *1-equivalent*, denoted as
> > R1 ~1 R2, if R1 <=1 R2 and R2 <=1 R1
> > Do you see how this is similar but different from what you are doing?
> > Let me try to make this link a bit more explicit.
> > - Given a relation R and a subset X of A we define the *null-free
> > projection* of R on X, denoted as NFP[X](R), such that NFP[X](R) =
> > { t[X] | t in R, dom(t[X])=X }.
>
> I think that is the counterpart to I(proj(X,r)) in my notation.
>
> > - The *interpretation* of a relation R, denoted as int(R), is defined
> > such that int(R) = { NFP[X](R) | X is a subset of A }.
>
> In my formalism I could define the counterpart "total interpretation"
> which is the set of I(proj(X,r)).
>
> > I can now define an ordering based on this in two ways:
>
> > - We define a binary relation <=2 over relations such that R1 <=2 R2
> > iff int(R1) is a subset of int(R2)
>
> Without thinking about it too deeply, in my notation I suspect that
> would be the counterpart to defining
>
> r1 <=2 r2 if
> for all X subset of attribs(r1), I(proj(X,r1)) = I(proj,X,r2))
>
> It doesn't seem particularly useful in a model of partial
> information. I can understand some relevance to CWA as you say below.
>
> > - We define a binary relation <=3 over relations such that R1 <=3 R2
> > iff for each relation R' in int(R1) there is a relation R" in int(R2)
> > such that R' is a subset R".
>
> Consider the following binary relation where A,B are sets
>
> A <<< B if
> for each subset X in A,
> there exists subset Y of B st
> X is a subset Y
>
> Claim: A <<< B iff A subset of B
> Proof:
> (=>)
> let X = A
> X is a subset of A (since A is subset of A)
> A <<< B so there exists Y st
> Y subset of B and
> X subset of Y
> so X is a subset of B (by transitivity)
> so A is a subset of B (since X = A)
>
> (<=)
> let X be a subset of A
> put Y = X.
> then X is subset of Y (since X = Y)
> and Y is subset of B (since X=Y and X is subset of A)
>
> This makes me think R1 <=3 R2 is the counterpart to my definition
>
> r2 --> r1
> for all X subset of attribs(r1), I(proj(X,r1)) is subset of
> I(proj,X,r2))
>
> > - As before we can use <=2 and <=3 to define the equivalence relations
> > ~2 and ~3.
>
> I have the feeling that ~2, ~3 are the same even though <=2, <=3 are
> not. Is that right?
>
> > I'm running a bit out of time now, so I'm closing with the relevant
> > questions:
> > - What is the relationship between the three equivalence
> > relationships?
>
> I'm still thinking about that!
>
> > - Which corresponds to yours, and which to Zaniolo's?
>
> I'm trying to work out the difference between <=1 and <=3. Could you

I'm still a bit time-pressed, so I'll answer briefly.

As you already noted <=3 essentially represents your approach. You may also have noticed that <=1 is Zaniolo's approach. The <=2 represents the does-not-apply interpretation of null values. I strongly conjecture (i.e. haven't formally verified) that <=1 and <=2 are the same and <=3 is different, but ~1, ~2 and ~3 are all the same.

If true, this should answer your question in January about what the difference is between your approach and his. :-)

> > - Which is more intuitive?
>
> Hard to say. I suspect that has more to do with how the human mind
> works than some mathematical distinction!

The math is meaningless unless you base it upon such an intuition. You really need to get this right before you proceed. Of course the math can help in that it allows you to see that your constructions have the desired properties, but also then you need to establish first an intuition that says what the desired properties are.

> > To give a hint about my opinion on the final question. If you assume
> > the closed world assumption, and we usually do in this context, then
> > it is not true that a smaller relation necessarily contains less
> > information. The absence of tuples then also carries information.
>
> Not sure what you are alluding to there. I don't yet fully appreciate
> the difference between these information comparison operators.
>
> Also I think one could argue that the CWA is at odds with a model of
> partial information, unless you keep in mind the idea of "negation as
> failure to prove true".

Here we touch the core of why I think your approach is problematic. The CWA does apply for the does-not-apply interpretation of null values. It does however not apply in its classical form for the valueunknown  interpretation. Actually Raymond Reiter himself (he introduced the CWA) explains very well how it then changes in a paper with the title "A sound and sometimes complete query evaluation algorithm for relational databases with null values".

What you seem to be doing is mixing the two interpretations, resulting in something that IMO doesn't really seem to have any consistently meaningful interpretation at all. If you really want to combine the two interpretations you need to first define the meaning of a relation with null values in terms of sets of "possible worlds" where the null values are removed by either giving a concrete value for them or declaring them not applicable. That might actually be quite interesting, and I don't remember seeing a paper that did this properly. Even Zaniolo doesn't really get this right, although he claims that he combines the two approaches. So you are in very good company. :-)

> Thanks by the way for the most interesting discussion I've had on cdt.

You are very welcome.

  • Jan Hidders