RM formalism supporting partial information

From: David BL <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:47:17 -0800

Nearly two weeks ago I posted to the thread "atomic" regarding a join operator I had defined back in January. A discussion with Paul C inspired me to more carefully develop the mathematical formalism.

I have been surprised to discover some elegant mathematical ideas making me feel like this is a very promising area of study. It could easily turn out to be valuable for a formal approach to partial information in the RM within the confines of a 2vl.

There are a number of definitions of relational operators in the spirit of the RA, and many properties are stated, complete with formal proofs. In a number of ways the operators are more flexible than in the conventional RA. For example, union, intersection and difference are defined on relations that are not necessarily union compatible, and the association with partial information is simple and intuitive.

There is far too much detail to post. The following is a link to a MS word document.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~davidbl/MVattributes.doc

This is still a work in progress.

I welcome any comments. Received on Wed Nov 14 2007 - 14:47:17 CET

Original text of this message