Re: Attribute-values in separate table

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:23:29 GMT

Roy Hann wrote:
> "Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message

>> "Authorised User" <bg_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [snip]
>
>>> So, having lots of tables is good from a data-purity point of view... but
>>> spare a thought for the poor programmer who has to code for each table.
>>> One general table is far from perfect, and we will lose of a great many
>>> specific constraints that could help reduce data integrity problems...
>>> BUT
>>> we think we can run with it.  In this particular case.
>> It is a truly poor programmer indeed who would trade off data integrity
>> for a faulty expectation of reduced work.  If there are eighty types of
>> atomic facts, then whether you're coding for one table or for eighty, you
>> still have to code for eighty types of atomic facts.  Is it really less
>> work to lump it all together?

> Unfortunately, given the piss-poor tools that programmers are content to
> use--for a whole lot of reasons that I could rage about at length some other
> time--the answer to your question isn't as clear as it should be. I will
> give you one example from my own recent experience that illustrates the
> point.
>
> The client, the taxation authority of a small European country, had a
> requirement to provide an application to its helpdesk users who handle calls
> from the public about their personal tax returns. The application needed to
> present the helpdesk users with a myriad details about each of the tax
> allowances and credits each taxpayer might claim. At the time there were
> about 120 different allowances for everything from mortgage interest relief
> on investment properties to vet bills for guide dogs for the blind, and
> everything in between. The descriptions of the benefits were wildly
> different (as you might guess), and some required a variable number of
> diverse supplimentary facts. (In terms of complexity this subsystem dwarfed
> the rest of the tax system by an order of magnitude.)
>
> To make this truly wild, the system also had to be able to respond to annual
> changes in tax legislation, within a legally defined six week period. To
> fail to implent an announced change within six weeks would require going
> back to the legislature and getting them to literallly change the law of the
> land. You can see where this is going.
>
> Now normally I only get involved with performance issues at this site, but
> having demonstrated how the database design can strongly influence the
> performance of the applications, they invited me to review the proposed
> solution, which was absolutely classic EAV. To cut a long story short I
> told them, in terms, that they were embarking on a "massive blunder", and
> had an absolutely bruising meeting with several customer representative and
> also the prime contractor. It was 10 against 1, and my poor choice of words
> ensured I had no allies in the room at all. But what sealed my fate was the
> [...]

Nice story. I mean "nice" the way "Ounslo", Mrs. Hyacinthe Bucket's brother-in-law says it (can't remember the name of that Britcom but her sisters had flower names too). I used to encounter these EAV things that were popular with a product I helped support, but they were usually called "frameworks". There was an informal spin-off business built on them, complete with a travelling circus of loosely-amalagamated consultants, all of whom made it a point never to stay in one country too long. Anyway, my question for the developers was always the same sarcastic one: "when will you get around to writing the compiler?". A couple of times witless managements were persuaded to echo the question but that was just for laughs, it didn't really do any good. Received on Sat Oct 27 2007 - 19:23:29 CEST

Original text of this message