Re: Book about query processing / query optimization searched

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:02:42 -0700

>> if there's no rotational delay in the file system, then what happens to the standard objection to the Relational Database; joins are toooooo sloooow. And then, why not, finally, follow the mantra: one fact, one place, one time? <<

I was looking at 8GB memory sticks at Costco yesterday under $20.00. Look at WX 2 (nee White Cross), Teradata, SAND and Vertica for column oriented RDBMS products.

In my next book, I carry things one step further. JOINs will become cheaper than computations in the near future -- they are mostly equality tests or simple comparisons. So more stuff will be done by table look up in parallel hardware. Received on Sat Oct 13 2007 - 09:02:42 CDT