Re: Book about query processing / query optimization searched

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 02:43:55 GMT

--CELKO-- wrote:

>>>  if there's no rotational delay in the file system, then what happens to the standard objection to the Relational Database; joins are toooooo sloooow.  And then, why not, finally, follow the mantra:  one fact, one place, one time? <<

> I was looking at 8GB memory sticks at Costco yesterday under $20.00.
> Look at WX 2 (nee White Cross), Teradata, SAND and Vertica for column
> oriented RDBMS products.

When seek duration approaches zero time and rotation is not a factor, the "row-based" store starts to make some sense. Even with 8GB of such storage, storage utilization, eg., garbage collection and so forth seems rather complicated compared to the economy of adjacent "columns". I suppose column-based representations are superior when joins never involve more than one per relation but the other complications will attract implementers, as usual.

I think a more urgent problem is memory cache delays, ie., I doubt whether anybody who buys a 2GHz cpu gets 2GHz when it comes to their DB.   OTOH, nobody I've asked has been able to tell me how much electrical juice they waste, let alone how much Javascript used by web pages that don't need javascript wastes. Received on Sun Oct 14 2007 - 04:43:55 CEST

Original text of this message