Re: A pk is *both* a physical and a logical object.

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:25:10 -0700

On Jul 12, 8:21 pm, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 12 juil, 18:25, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> > > "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> not a

> tone,

> in
> SQL
> imply

> not
> > > other.

> > > including
> as
> where
> see
> > > where
>
> > > Please don't confuse "management" with "data managment".
> > I think I misread your comment (did not mean to sound offending).
>
> Yes, I think you did.
Sorry about that but a fact is a fact. *SQL school* does not have anything productive to say about theory of relations.

> > thought you were advocating that SQL schools of data management have
> > any relevance anymore as to what should and should not be relationally
> > sound. Quite frankly, I do not pay any attention to anything that is
> > SQL related (except to make a living)..
>
> SQL oriented people (I might include myself) will advocate declaring a
> primary key whenever a table is created, and making all FK references to
> the table via its primary key. That turns out to be of value even if the
> primary key concept is outside of the relational model of data.
I do not think the concept of primary key is anywhere *outside* the relational domain of investigation of database management as its concept of unique identifier was defined in relational theory well before SQL systems were born.

I don't see the relevance nor intellectual honnesty into appropriation by SQL oriented people of the concept of unique identifier. For instance, tha fact that I use SQL on a daily basis because I need to make a living, does not prevent me from seeing how SQL breaks relational rules at every level and how SQL people (ANSI committee) perverted relational model probably because the were pressured by dbms editors. Considering the recent trends in dbms products, I would not be surprised for instance that XML would become a new SQL standard proponent. That would be a total antithesis to relational theory and a major regression in database management in general. Received on Fri Jul 13 2007 - 10:25:10 CEST

Original text of this message