Re: Smart Database Tricks

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:45:28 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:467bbfa9$0$4321$9a566e8b_at_news.aliant.net...
> Jan Hidders wrote:

> >>[snip]

> >>Is an attribute a predicate variable of some sort?
> >
> > As in "the x in predicate P(x, y) "? Yes, I'd say that is the same
> > thing.

> I thought so. When one writes a query and requests certain attributes,
> would those requested attributes be free variables in a logic sense?
>

> When one uses an attribute in a restrict condition or join condition,
> would that attribute be a bound variable in a logic sense?

I don't know what the term "free variable" means in the world of logic. I do know what it means in the context of Lisp programming. (Or, at least, I used to know). So far, the use of "free variable" in these discussions seems to be consistent with the Lisp usage. Received on Fri Jun 22 2007 - 16:45:28 CEST

Original text of this message