Re: Little design mistakes that can be easily avoided (2): Listenning to CELKO (and CELKO alikes)

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 27 May 2007 12:52:37 -0700

>> 1. Defining keys according to human perception <<

Perhaps you see the world with the "Eyes of God"? Relationships and definitions are a human convention. Did you ever read Aristotle's remarks on how arbitrary categorizing things actually is?

>> 2. Considering there are several realities (external/internal) <<

That concept is called "the Universe of Discourse" in formal logic. The database is a model that references things in another reality. If I am modeling an accounting system, then my tables and my actual bank balance should match, etc. Are you familiar with General Semantics-- "the map is not the territory" is the one of their rules.

>> 3. Believing in magic <<

Unh? I am the guy who mocks Newbies that use a magical, universal allpurpose  identifier! I even give the reference to the Kabbalah for such numerology.

>> 4. Believing that a key is physical concept <<

No, that a key can be physically validated. Ever use a GPS system for your location? Duh!

>> 5. Defining keys in function of lazy people. <<

I'll stand by that one in context. Newbies do not do research and tend to use some proprietary auto-numbering feature in their product instead of finding a real key.

>> 6. Making sense out of CELKO writing and *taxonomies* <<

English is not your first language, so you might have problems with it. But I have been writing in the IT trade press for over 30 years, published a few "best sellers" and have taught many non-western college students. I Think my writing is clear, my sentences are short and my vocabulary is simple. I try very hard not to tell jokes that require a cultural basis. After over 800 published articles and seven books, I think most readers can understand me.

Taxonomy: The science, laws, or principles of classification; systematics. Received on Sun May 27 2007 - 21:52:37 CEST

Original text of this message