Re: Databasescheme with UML

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 11:03:12 -0300

Christian Bruckhoff wrote:
> Hi.
>
> How do I create a databasescheme with UML? In comparison to ER-diagrams
> I would say, that entities are classes and relationships are
> associations now. I think that should be right. But how you have to
> model a relationship with attributes with UML?
>
> Regards!
> Christian Bruckhoff

Christian,

These diagramming techniques are crutches that don't work very well, and they have led you straight into making a "Great Blunder".

In E/R, entities are relations and relationships are relations. The distinction between them is mere pretense. Classes are datatypes which makes them the same as domains and not relations at all.

The visual similarity of the pretty pictures misleads you. Received on Fri May 18 2007 - 16:03:12 CEST

Original text of this message