Re: more closed-world chatter

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 May 2007 11:57:02 -0700

On May 5, 8:50 am, Jon Heggland <jon.heggl..._at_idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

> > when it comes to the advantage of sub-typing in dealing with
> > my question.
>
> I don't know about "advantage"; I just don't see how you can avoid it.

It's easy to avoid: just don't put subtying in the language design.

Much of the talk in language design in the last ten years or more has focused on various mechanisms for subtyping, but it's an entirely optional language feature. That's easy to forget when it's all anyone's talking about, but it is possible to just leave it out.
It's also possible to leave a static type system out entirely.

Whether it is a good decision to do so will depend on a number of factors. But I consider it important to keep in mind that it is a deliberate choice.

Marshall Received on Sat May 05 2007 - 20:57:02 CEST

Original text of this message