Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 13:03:33 -0600

paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac> writes:
> I had the attitude that "batch" was a synonym for "bait and
> switch". Marketing material would show people getting instant answers
> to various questions but once the new machinery was installed,
> customers would complain that there weren't hours in the day to get
> all their work done. Service rep's would then advise that productivity
> would improve with better utilization, eg., keeping the expensive cpu
> 100% busy, eliminate interactive work, make people schedule their
> machine time in advance and jostle for position in the queue. Soon a
> scheduling software industry appeared. Accountants saw the
> opportunity to record and ration machine time. Even when the TRS80's,
> Apples and PC's appeared, nostalgia for those ways didn't evaporate,
> maybe even grew. Human nature to preserve the old ways and
> idiosyncrasies of most fields. It will probably take decades for SQL
> to go away.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#16 Newbie question on table design.

note as somewhat implied in this previous post http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#14 Newbie question on table design.

the development tools used by SJR for system/r and sql http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007d.html#17 Jim Gray is Missing

weren't nearly as sophisticated or powerful as the tools used by the tools group in the los gatos VLSI lab for their DBMS development. Somewhat as a result, the tools group also had somewhat more experience and sophistication in doing a DBMS language for their implementation.

for topic other drift ... a post about early on, somebody doing some cms application re-implementation for the TRS80 http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#1 "The Elements of Programming Style"

for slightly other drift ... GML
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sgml

had been invented at the science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

in 1969 (aka G, M, and L, are the initials of the three people responsible ... they then had to come up with the phrase "generalized mark-up language" to correspond with their initials). It then took quite awhile for GML to evolve thru SGML, HTML, XML, etc.

GML language support had been added to the CMS document formating application "SCRIPT". Archeological reference to HTML evolving from the "waterloo" version of CMS script command in use at CERN: http://infomesh.net/html/history/early/

other historical trivia, the first webserver outside europe was on vm/cms system at slac:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml

for other trivia ... the current w3c offices are just around the corner from the old science center location at 545 tech. sq.

misc. past posts mentioning the "waterloo" version of the CMS script command:

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#46 ... the need for a Museum of Computer Software
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#72 Specifying all biz rules in relational data
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#74 Specifying all biz rules in relational data
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#34 Thou shalt have no other gods before the ANSI C standard