Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:49:39 -0600

"David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> writes:
> Fair enough. IBM culture was big enough, at the time, so it could
> accommodate a large number of internal subcultures. The part of IBM culture
> that was visible to me was definitely not into interactive development.
>
> Even though they had interactive terminals, on line editing, etc. etc.
> compiling a source program was a batch job. And that affected the workflow.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#11 Re: Newbie question on table design. http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#12 Re: Newbie question on table design.

one of the things you started to see with cp/cms in the 60s was the appearance of a number of personal computing applications (similar to various of the things that you would later see on PCs. in the 80s).

in the 60s, there were two operations that sort of spun off of the science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

to offer commercial time-sharing services. they transitioned to 370 machines when virtual memory became readily available on all 370 machines. they were also joined by tymshare offering commercial vm370-based time-sharing services. lots of post posts mentioning cp/cms and vm/cms based time-sharing services http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#timeshare

for a little dbms tie-in .... in addition to original relational/sql system/r being done on vm
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

there was also the ramis, nomad, focus genre that were done on vm/cms ... misc past posts

http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#15 CA-RAMIS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#17 CA-RAMIS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003n.html#12 Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#15 Pre-relational, post-relational, 1968 CODASYL "Survey of Data  Base Systems"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#44 Shipwrecks
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#35 PDP-1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#37 PDP-1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#37 Quote from comp.object

and a couple wiki refs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOCUS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramis_software

one of the things that started to show up with interactive computing was games. in the 70s, tymshare had ported the adventure dec fortran source to vm/cms and i obtained a copy for internal corporate distribution. at one point, the executives in STL complained that they thot nearly everybody was spending their days playing adventure on vm/cms (instead of doing dbms development). recent post mentioning adventure: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#0 10 worst PCs

in addition to the local internal corporate datacenters providing local vm/cms users interactive computing ... there was also the world-wide HONE system
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

providing online, interactive services for sales, marketing and field people world-wide ... recent reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#77 Sizing CPU

starting out with most of the application written in cms\apl on cp67 and then transitioning to vm370 and apl\cms. Sometime in the early to mid 70s, sales couldn't even submit a 370 order w/o it having first being processed by a HONE "configurator".

To continue the theme that there were a lot of cms personal computing applications ... the type of things you started seeing moving to PCs in the 80s ... there were a lot of APL-based applications doing "what-if" type things ... that you later see implemented with PC-based spreadsheets.

An early one was when the cambridge science center first ported apl\360 to cms for cms\apl. The apl\360 service offerings typically limited workspace sizes to 16kbytes (or in some cases 32k). With cms\apl, the size of the APL workspace could be nearly as large as the virtual address space. This opened up a lot of "what-if" applications using real-world data. Early on, we found corporate business planners shipping tapes to Cambridge with the most sensitive customer and corporate business data ... and using the science center cms\apl facilities to run "what-if" business planning scenarios. a couple recent references mentioning business planners in corporate hdqtrs using the cambridge cms\apl facilities:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#20 Does anyone know of a documented case of VM being penetrated by hackers? http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#77 Sizing CPU Received on Fri May 04 2007 - 20:49:39 CEST

Original text of this message