Re: A new proof of the superiority of set oriented approaches: numerical/time serie linear interpolation

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2007 09:30:31 -0700

On 3 mai, 18:09, Gene Wirchenko <g..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
> Cimode <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I am not sure formal theory requires the need for *state* concept.
> >The fundamental concepts of relation value, relations variable or
> >simply relation are sufficient to describe the evolution of a specific
> >relation in time. What does bringing concepts that are clearly OO
> >oriented (I have heard about db *state*, db *instantiation*, db
> >*instance*) add to the equation? Not much I am afraid.
>
> "state" is not particularly OO -- I think of Turing machines and
> finite state automata, not OO -- but "instantiation" and "instance" do
> not do anything for me.
>
> [snip]
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gene Wirchenko
>
> Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
> I have preferences.
> You have biases.
> He/She has prejudices.

A little clarification. The terminology issue here is about *database state* not just *state* in a generic sense. I am simply underlining that either *databae state* or *database instanciation* are not I believe necessary to invoke in the current context of discussion. I am not convinced they are necessary at all...

Regards... Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 18:30:31 CEST

Original text of this message