Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 16:04:38 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message
> I know practically nothing of CDC culture, but quite a bit about DEC
> culture, going way back. My impression of CDC culture, gleaned indirectly
> from what Niklaus Wirth had to say about the CDCmachines, is that CDC
> culture discovered interactive development later than DEC culture did.

Quite so - they were wire wrapped TTL and crunched FP calcs like a cut cat. Nothing makes a machine like that work as hard as when running in batch. They were > 7 figures to buy in the 70's so management liked to see blood squeeze - IIRC we used to account for 100ths of CP secs and bill the user plus crash their jobs if they clocked more than a few secs!

All very retro but as they have just built one on a chip...its called a Cell...we have gone full circle!

Cheers, Frank. Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 18:04:38 CEST

Original text of this message