Re: A new proof of the superiority of set oriented approaches: numerical/time serie linear interpolation

From: Jon Heggland <jon.heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:24:54 +0200

David Cressey wrote:
> The concept of "variable" is very simple from a process centric point of
> view. Since most of us were programmers before becoming database exprerts,
> the process centric point of view is thoroughly ingrained in us. I suggest
> that, from a data centric point of view, the concept of "variable" is a
> lot less simple than you and I tend to think it is.

Good point, perhaps. Though I have yet to experience any problem explaining the concept to anyone. A variable is a named box where you can put a value. You can look into it to see what the value is. You can replace the value with another value. Am I missing anything important?

>> 'Integer variables are nothing more a language device, for talking about
>> integers, whether the language is Java or English.  They merely serve to
>> save us specifying an integer everytime we refer to it.

> Not exactly. In a programming language, it also serves to convey a computed
> result from one point of execution to a different point.

By all means. (In case you didn't notice, I basically just took one of paul c's paragraphs and replaces "relation" by "integer".) Are relation variables and integer variables different in that regard?

--
Jon