Re: A new proof of the superiority of set oriented approaches: numerical/time serie linear interpolation

From: Jon Heggland <jon.heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:19:10 +0200

paul c wrote:
> (I was only trying to counter what I thought was an attempt to make
> variables inherent in RT as opposed to the language people apply it with.)

That may be an admirable goal---the idea of a functional programming-style database seems to surface from time to time, though I have yet to see anything concrete---but to talk vaguely about names for relations (or relation values), that may refer to different relations at different times, is (in my opinion) just trying to describe a variable without actually using the "v" word.

As for variables being inherent to RT ... You can discuss relational algebra without mentioning variables; the algebra is only concerned with values. But as soon as updates (whether INSERTs, UPDATEs, DELETEs or assignments) come into the picture, I don't see how you can avoid variables.

--
Jon