Re: Naming Conventions?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:46:38 GMT

mAsterdam wrote:
> Karen Hill wrote:
>

>> What do you believe is the best naming convention for tables, columns,
>> schemas and why?

> Sadly, names do not matter to much to structuralists like paulc and BB
> (I'm sure paulc won't mind :-).

Heh, don't mind at all. I fancy structuralism covers all the ground it's possible to talk about formally.

I grew up with IBM utility names made out of un-pronouncable dipthongs and had my own private names for them, such as pteradactyl. Some co-workers got used to this and started doing the same. This seemed to increase our confidence that we understood each other, if not the systems we used. Knew another programmer who liked labels such as "there", "here" and shades of OO, "this". Eventually got used to that too.

I can enjoy a bit of mysticism as much as the next person, until it turns earnest!

p Received on Wed Apr 25 2007 - 15:46:38 CEST

Original text of this message