Re: Database design of stock prices?

From: knguyen <nguyen.h.khanh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Apr 2007 20:00:53 -0700

On Apr 9, 4:17 pm, "jefftyzzer" <jefftyz..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Apr 6, 5:18 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> > jefftyzzer wrote:

> > > After a little "conceptual translation," Chapters 4, 9, 10, and 11 of
> > > Martin Fowler's _Analysis Patterns_ book may get you started.
>
> > > Good luck,
>
> > > --Jeff
>
> > Hi Jeff,
>
> > Why do you recommend an analysis book for design? Why that book in
> > particular?- Hide quoted text -

> Hi, Bob.
>
> By "designing a database to hold stock prices," I took the OP to mean
> that he was working on the first step in his design--namely the data
> model/data requirements--and that he was not terribly familiar with
> the problem domain (or at least how to model it--he may be a first-
> rate securities professional for all I know ;-).
>
> Of the books available that offer "canned" first-cuts at data models
> (e.g., the books by David Hay and Len Silverston), none cover stocks.
> The closest I could find was the book by Fowler, which provides pre-
> UML class models.
>
> Without inviting a flame-war, I don't think it's assuming too much
> that the OP could take a look at the Fowler chapters and use them as
> input to/food-for-thought for his data model. For the record, I'm not
> suggesting that class = relation or instance variable = attribute, but
> I am suggesting that the OP might find value in how Fowler abstracted
> the problem domain(s) and what he considered the classes and their
> multiplicities (cardinalities) to be.
>
> Regards,
>
> --Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Jeff,

Thank you very much for the suggestion. The book arrive today. I probably will ask more questions as I am reading it.

_at_DMMS: This is for my own personal speculating. I am not working for any wealth management giants :D

-k Received on Thu Apr 19 2007 - 05:00:53 CEST

Original text of this message