Re: choice of character for relational division

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2007 09:34:28 -0700

On Apr 1, 7:48 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 8:44 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you are looking for symbols, why do you limit yourself to ASCII when
> unicode is becoming so prevalent? Are you using the * for join? If so,
> what's wrong with / for divide?

When vi can conveniently edit unicode, I'll drop ascii forever. Meantime I'll support both. (Even with full unicode support for displays, there's still the question of how you type them, and that better not be ctl+alt+meta+F11, J, O, I, N, <ESC> or everyone will go back to Java.)

Over the years I've considered the following choices for join:

^
**
&&
&

Also considered: nothing. So A join B join C would be written:

  A B C

Currently I like &.

> > PS. Walk like an Egyptian.
>
> We Got the Beat! Yeah!

Remember when Belinda Carlyle released a solo album?

http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Earth-Belinda-Carlisle/dp/B000002PH1 Received on Sun Apr 01 2007 - 18:34:28 CEST

Original text of this message