Re: choice of character for relational division

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:48:28 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> On Mar 31, 8:44 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Let us consider the choice of characters to use for
>>relational operators.

> Dagnabbit! How come when I want to talk about something,
> we talk about everything *except* that? I tried to start a
> thread about possreps, and the whole thread became me
> defending a rational type. I want to ask about picking a
> character for a well-known operation, and now I'm supposed
> to defend the operation?
>
> Phooey!

What can I say? I have always been a disruptive influence in class. I ask a lot of questions, and I don't always enumerate my assumptions.

If you are looking for symbols, why do you limit yourself to ASCII when unicode is becoming so prevalent? Are you using the * for join? If so, what's wrong with / for divide?

> Folks want to talk about whether the world needs relational
> division, they can start their own thread, in which I will
> talk about the relative merits of the Bangles vs. the
> Go Gos.
>
> Bemused and slightly frustrated,
>
> Marshall
>
> PS. Walk like an Egyptian.

We Got the Beat! Yeah! Received on Sun Apr 01 2007 - 16:48:28 CEST

Original text of this message