Re: Large dataset performance

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 Mar 2007 02:27:36 -0700

On Mar 20, 11:20 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_oohay.ac> wrote:
> Cimode wrote:

> This is not an SQL problem and there is not enough information in the
> question to answer it properly, eg., is there some application
> requirement that the 3.4 M rows be written atomically (all or nothing),
> are 100 users going to do this 100 times per day each, etc., etc..
> There was another comment about fewer commits which would make no sense
> if some transaction notion was involved, in fact it would be dangerous.
Correct. I had to extrapolate based on some previous performance problems I have met on Interbase.

The *underlying* performance problem is indeed fundamental and common to most direct image systems (mainly a consequence of non separation between logical and physical layers). However the audience starts from a procedural background. He is not aware *yet* of the difference between SQL dbms and RM model. I have found out that such audiences are often more inclined to learn theory when they feel they have a grasp on it or relate to it. So I learned to be patient and not rush.