Re: So what's on YOUR bookshelf?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2007 21:30:17 -0700

On Mar 17, 8:25 pm, Chris Edwards <c..._at_ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> Anyone have Abelson and Sussman: "Structure and Interpretation of
> Computer Programs"? Would you recommend? I'm also interested in
> picking up something on functional programming, perhaps with a view to
> learning Haskell or Erlang.

I have it on my bookshelf but I haven't read it yet; it's behind quite a number of other volumes in the queue. However I I can't think of a single book that I have heard more recommendations for.

Although ... I heard Sussman speak a few months ago and was underwhelmed. But it's supposed to be a hell of a book.

If one is interested in programming language design, I can heartily recommend "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming, by Van Roy and Haridi.

http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Techniques-Models-Computer-Programming/dp/0262220695/

Marshall Received on Sun Mar 18 2007 - 05:30:17 CET

Original text of this message