Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:21:35 -0000

"Lee Fesperman" <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:1173943006.814718.209080_at_n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 14, 3:59 am, "Walt" <wami..._at_verizon.net> wrote:

> Besides, 'programmer productivity' is not high on the list of goals
> for database management systems, though I would say that RM has made
> significant contributions to productivity over the years.

I take it the term "productivity" here means something like "lines of code required to solve a business problem"?

It is my unshakable opinion that RM has the potential to very nearly eliminate the need for programming as most people would understand the term. But programmers, through sheer numerical superiority, are unstoppable code-generators. They have ensured that RM (or rather, RM-inspired) products have had very little impact how much code is written to solve a problem. I started out in the late 1970s writing applications that navigated the databases of the day using quite simple APIs. Most of the code I look at today substitutes handfuls of my old API calls with a similar number of EXEC SQL OPEN CURSOR and EXEC SQL FETCH statements. I would be hard pressed to swear there has been any increase in productivity at all.

There has certainly been an increase in code proliferation, but that ain't my idea of productivity.

Roy Received on Thu Mar 15 2007 - 09:21:35 CET

Original text of this message