Re: An object-oriented network DBMS from relational DBMS point of view

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:37:05 -0400

Marshall wrote:

> On Mar 9, 3:44 am, "Dmitry Shuklin" <shuk..._at_bk.ru> wrote:

>> I will be very appreciated for your feedback. Thank You for reading.

> Hi,
>
> So you've clearly put some time in to thinking about mappings between
> OOPL capabilities and RDBMS capabilities. But your essay said
> nothing about why you're thinking about this. What is the purpose?
>
> There is a general tendency I have observed when people come
> across a new way of doing things that they try to map their old
> way of doing things on to the new way. That enables them to
> use techniques they already have under the new system. However
> this is not a native way of doing things, and it's always less
> productive than learning the new way, although it is typically
> faster.

Indeed. If time were put into examining how a modern database works, it might be realized that a table with triggers is the most complete encapsulation you can get. This ia perfect implementation of an OO design, but not recognizable because he's trying to see database constructions in terms of code constructions.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.