Re: Navigation question

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:56:32 GMT

Andy Dingley wrote:

> On 14 Feb, 19:47, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>select * from orders where date > '2006-01-01' and status =
>>'fulfilled' and customerid = 1234
>>
>>You say what you want and you get just that. No sifting
>>through stuff you don't want; no navigating.

> Why is that good though? Because it avoids navigation, or because it
> avoids round-tripping?
> IMHO it's avoiding the second thhat is the advantage here, not the
> first
>
> This isn't to say I'm in favour of nvaigation, but this example
> doesn't make the case against it. A navigational stored procedure on
> the DB server would have much the same benefit.

No, it wouldn't. A navigational stored procedure would not offer the dbms the same ability to re-order the access paths that the declarative query does. As such, the navigational procedure will be less adaptive and generally less performant. Received on Tue Feb 20 2007 - 17:56:32 CET

Original text of this message