Re: Objects and Relations

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ocis.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:29:18 -0800

"David BL" <davidbl_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

>On Jan 30, 6:33 pm, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Do you realise I'm only talking about strings?

     Yes. So?

>> > I'm not trolling. I'm quite serious.
>>
>> I believe that you believe what you're saying, so in some narrow
>> sense you're not a troll. But you're still a troll in the broader
>> sense,
>> in that you're an outsider who doesn't exhibit much mastery of the
>> RM, pops in with no prior posting history, and speaks of
>> "clear disadvantages" without any signs of having done any actual
>> analysis.
>
>I'm not sure why you say I made the claims with no underlying basis.

     So what are the clear disadvantages? (As opposed to things that appear to you to be disadvantages.)

>On the contrary I outlined my reasons for making the claim. If my

                                                              ^^^^^

>reasoning was wrong through inexperience with RM then fair enough.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ >But saying there
was "no analysis" is quite wrong.

>Implying I'm arrogant for making claims without sufficient experience

>or credentials also comes across as a little arrogant on your part.

     You just admitted the point. Marshall just caught onto it more quickly than you did.

     Being ignorant is not a crime. Being ignorant and disrespecting the field from which you are requesting help is not either, but maybe, it should be.

>Anyway I'm more interested in engaging in an objective discussion.
>I'm quite happy to defend (and if necessary retract) my statements
>through criticism.

     Why make statements that you have to retract?

     Stating that you can not see how one would do something in an area and asking for help is much better than stating that the area is inadequate. After all, you do not know that, do you?

>> If Gene dismisses you out of hand, I cannot fault him.

     I did not quite do that, but the responsibility for the proof of your claims lies with you. It is easy to claim that the RM is inadequate. It is quite another to prove it.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: