Re: Objects and Relations

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: 30 Jan 2007 13:13:38 -0800

On Jan 30, 7:12 pm, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 10:18 am, "Neo" <neo55..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I wish I had a decent general purpose relational language I could prototype this stuff in. Starting in March I hope to be able to put some decent amount of effort into that. SQL is so clunky!
>
> > So what is a proper relational expression for the string bob?
>
> #:int, c:char
>
> But I would expect a syntactic shortcut so you could just
> write:
>
> "bob"
>
> as is customary in a variety of languages.

Indeed, and hopefully the OP will recognize how similar this is to the actual contents of the string object itself. I'd also note that while RDBMS are obviously not traditionally setup to handle this sort of thing (in terms of physical implementation and optimization, as opposed to the underlying theory), there is no reason a programming language could not be constructed that represented a string datatype as such.