Re: The term "theory" as in "database theory"

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:58:30 GMT

Walt wrote:

> "Kenneth Downs" <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> wrote in message
>

>>dawn wrote:
>>
>>>I have been working on a question related to the term "theory" and
>>>decided I first should get a better idea of what this term means to
>>>others. Below is the dictionary.com list of definitions. Which of the
>>>following comes closest to the use of the term "theory" in this ng as
>>>in "database theory", or is there another someone wants to provide?
>>>Thanks in advance. --dawn

>>>"1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of
>>>explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
>>
>>Unsuitble. A database is not a phenomenon whose principles need to be
>>discovered, as for instance the phenomenon of gravity is the subject of
>>Einstein's theory of relativity. A database is a man-made thing whose
>>principles are crafted by the human mind to accomplish human goals.
>
> I disagree.  You can have a theory that describes phenomena made by humans.
> For example,  you can have a theory of linguistics.  Human language is
> definitely crafted by humans.  And it is definitely a subject for the kind
> of theory described above.

Oh, the irony. A database, itself, is a coherent group of general propositions. Valid inferences and derivations from data are interesting classes of phenomena. In fact, invalid inferences and derivations are equally interesting classes of phenomena, and principles explaining why they are invalid have tremendous value.

Database management principles explain or address broad classes of phenomena from group dynamics of primate psychology to abstract properties of n-adic operations.

Sadly, those who lack the ability to think too seldom lack the ability to speak up. Received on Sat Jan 27 2007 - 16:58:30 CET

Original text of this message