Re: Nulls, integrity, the closed world assumption and events

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:35:33 GMT

JOG wrote:

> dawn wrote:
>

>>JOG wrote:

>>>It is not that you confuse RM with SQL.
>>
>>Good, because I have heard that a number of times, and I did not think
>>it to be the case.
>>

>>>It is that because RM doesn't
>>>do everything you want
>>
>>I don't even think of it as "doing" anything, but as "being" so that
>>might be a problem.
>>

>>>(and only an idiot would think that the RM is
>>>the last word in data management),
>>
>>Agreed. For a couple of decades it dominated in the world of database
>>buzzwords, however. That is only starting to change (perhaps) very
>>recently.
>>

>>>you promote throwing the baby out
>>>with the bath water,
>>
>>I can think of a few things I would throw out (the three I mentioned).
>

> This is RM != SQL again. You stated that only _one_ of the three was
> relevant to the modern view of RM, but you now want to throw out three
> - this is illogic.
>

>>I don't know if those are what you are calling "the baby"
>

> No pointers. No dependence on manual navigation. Thinking in terms of
> propositions not objects. Essentially the information principle. We
> must not lose the invaluable insights if we are progress to even better
> techniques.
>

>>or if it is
>>related to my questions (and not fully developed opinions) on typing,
>>metadata as data (related to DBMS constraints or lack thereof), or
>>additional functions, such as navigation, in addition to set-based
>>functions.
>

> Functions on datatypes are external to the underlying algebra. So again
> not part of the RM, and can be happily part of a DBMS.
>

>>I do not throw out relations nor functions on them, but I
>>do favor also talking about relations as functions, since I have rarely
>>(if ever) worked with relations that are not in data-based software
>>development.
>

> A db-tuple is mathematical function. A db-relation is a commonly
> structured set of these functions.
>

>>>and losing all of the invaluable insights that
>>>Codd brought.
>>
>>I definitely do not want to make the same mistake made by some who
>>started with the RM around '70 or thereafter and dumped the wealth of
>>best practices in data-based software development that preceeded it.

What a fucking idiot Dawn is. The best practices pre-1970 were shitty. Codd convinced one user group struggling with the best way to deal with "5 difficult problems in data management" by writing one-liners for each of the 5 problems.

Dawn is a clueless git. I wish you would stop encouraging her. Received on Mon Jan 22 2007 - 06:35:33 CET

Original text of this message